ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 282

Old Buckenham Priory

Old Buckenham Priory was an Augustinian priory built on the site of Old Buckenham Castle at Old Buckenham in Norfolk, England. The monastery was founded in 1146 by William de Albini and his wife Queen Adeliza, the widow of king Henry I. the Chart ...

Orford Priory

Orford Priory was a priory in Stainton le Vale, Lincolnshire, England. Priory of Orford, in Stainton-Le-Vale, was probably built during the reign of king Henry II from Ralf dAlbini, in honor of the blessed Mary. Nun of Orford was excommunicated i ...

Oulton Abbey

St Marys Abbey, Oulton is a suppressed Benedictine abbey located in the village of Oulton near Stone in Staffordshire, England. The Abbey church is Grade II* listed, and other buildings are Grade II.

Pamber Priory

Pamber Priory is a Church of England parish church and former priory, then known as Sherborne Priory, at Monk Sherborne in the English county of Hampshire.

Panfield Priory

Panfield Priory was a priory of Augustinian Canons Regular sited in Panfield, Essex, England. It was a little strange house only a few monks dependent on the Abbey of Saint-étienne, Caen, St Stephens Abbey. It was founded in 1069-70 1070-77 by Wa ...

Pentney Priory

Pentney Priory was an Augustinian priory at Pentney in the district of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, England. The ruins of the priory, mostly comprising the flint-built gatehouse, are Grade I listed. The monastery was founded by V. 1130 b ...

Pilton Priory

Pilton Priory was a priory in Pilton which became a suburb of Barnstaple, Devon, England. Parts of the Priory survive today in the Church of St Mary the Virgin in Pilton.

Pinley Priory

Pinley Priory, also called Pinley Abbey, was a Cistercian nunnery in the parish of Rowington in Warwickshire, England. It was founded in the early 12th century and dissolved in 1536. The monastery now occupies the land and buildings Pinley Abbey ...

Plympton Priory

The site of an Anglo-Saxon minster, Plympton Priory was re-founded as an Augustinian house by Bishop William Warelwast in 1121. The foundation was confirmed by Henry I sometime around then. Warelwast was apparently scandalised by the loose living ...

Poulton Abbey

Poulton Abbey was a Cistercian medieval monastic house in Poulton, Cheshire, England, which was founded between 1153 and 1158, and moved in 1214 to a site near Leek, Staffordshire, where it became Dieulacres Abbey. The original site became a gran ...

Povington Priory

Povington Priory was a Benedictine priory in Tyneham, Dorset, England. It was established as an alien Priory of the Abbey of BEC. This term can mean simply the estate and does not necessarily imply the presence on the territory of even a small mo ...

Priory of St. Thomas near Stafford

Priory of St. Thomas near Stafford was an Augustinian religious house near Stafford, Staffordshire, England. Founded sometime in approximately 1174, it was a surrendered to the Crown in 1538, during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

Priory of the Holy Trinity, Ipswich

Priory of the Holy Trinity was a priory in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. A church of that dedication was named in the Domesday Book, although the building date of the priory was 1177. After a fire, the monastery was rebuilt by John of Oxford, Bishop ...

Pulloxhill Grange

Pulloxhill Grange was a priory in Bedfordshire, England. It is a Grade II listed building. In 1535, Dunstable monastery received from Woburn Abbey 5S. on land it held in Pulloxhill. In 1291, the value of the monasteries estates in Pulloxhill was ...

Radmore Abbey

Radmore Abbey was a cistercian abbey near Cannock, Staffordshire, England. Originally a hermitage, the abbey did not exist for long, being exchanged for lands in Warwickshire after little more than ten years.

Redlingfield Priory

Redlingfield Priory was a medieval nunnery in Redlingfield, Suffolk, England. It was closed in the 1530s. The parish Church, which dates back to Anglo-Saxon times, believed to have been used by nuns. There are a few other remains, including build ...

Ribston Preceptory

Ribston Preceptory was a priory just east of the village of Little Ribston, in North Yorkshire, England on the east bank of the River Nidd. The preceptory at Ribston was founded in 1217, when Robert de Ros donated the land and advowson of Ribston ...

Rocester Abbey

Rocester Abbey was a medieval monastic house at Rocester, Staffordshire, England of which there is now no trace above ground level. The Augustinian Abbey of St Mary, the main office in Rochester was established in dovedale between 1141 and 1146 b ...

Rosedale Priory

Rosedale Priory was a priory in Rosedale Abbey, North Yorkshire, England that was founded c. 1150–1199. By the time the priory was suppressed in 1535, it had one prioress and eight nuns. The religious house in Rosedale was a priory and not an abb ...

St Annes Monastic House

St Annes Monastic House is an Orthodox monastic house in North Yorkshire, England. The house is from modern times, being founded in 1995 and is located north east of York Minster.

St Dunstans Abbey

St Dunstans Abbey, Plymouth was an abbey in Plymouth, Devon, England. The Sisters of the Most Holy Trinity under Priscilla Lydia Sellon with the support of the Henry Phillpotts, Bishop of Exeter founded an Anglican convent in New North Road. The ...

St. Edmunds Chapel, Lyng

The ruins of St. Edmunds Chapel are located in a field to the east of the village of Lyng in the English county of Norfolk. The chapel was part of a Benedictine monastery. It is not known when the chapel was built, but he was transferred to Thetf ...

St James Priory, Exeter

St James Priory, Exeter was a priory in Devon, England. The fief Saint James, the monastery was located in the current district, the hotel heavitree, near Exeter, Devon. The parcel was worth 20 shillings £1 and consisted of one villager, 2 slaves ...

St. Leonards Priory, Norwich

St. Leonards Priory, Norwich was a priory in Norfolk, England. It was a dependent cell of Norwich Cathedral before the Reformation. In 1542 it was acquired by the Earl of Surrey and turned into the mansion of Mount Surrey. During Ketts Rebellion, ...

St. Martins Priory, Richmond

St. Martins Priory, Richmond was a medieval monastic house in North Yorkshire, England. It was a Benedictine house, founded about 1100, originally for 9 or 10 monks, dependent on St Marys Abbey, York. As one of the lesser monastic houses, it was ...

St Mawgan Monastery

St Mawgan Monastery was a monastery at St Mawgan in Cornwall, UK, originally of Celtic monks and after the Norman Conquest of Cluniac monks. A Celtic monastery was founded in the 6th century. He was dismissed in the 11th century. The monastery be ...

St Monicas Priory, Spetisbury

St Monicas Priory, Spetisbury or Spettisbury, was a religious house in Spetisbury or Spettisbury, Dorset, England. Between 1800 and 1926 it passed through the hands of several different orders and was demolished in 1927.

St. Radegunds Abbey

St. Radegunds Abbey at Bradsole was a medieval monastic house in the parish of Hougham Without near Dover in southeast England. It was dedicated to Radegund, the sixth-century Merovingian princess, who, once married to the unsavory King Chlothar ...

Sewardsley Priory

Sewardsley Priory was a Priory occupied by Cistercian nuns in Showsley near Towcester, South Northamptonshire, England. After the dissolution of the monasteries, information about the location and arrangement of the Priory buildings have been los ...

Shobdon Priory

Shobdon Priory was a priory in Herefordshire, England at grid reference SO40106284. The Church dates from 1140 and was demolished in the 18th century.

Skendleby Priory

Skendleby Priory was a priory in the village of Skendleby, Lincolnshire, England. According to the remains of SV. James, Chapel, Skendleby Priory, were discovered during archaeological research and excavations in 2005. It was a small cell to Bard ...

Snainton Preceptory

Snainton Preceptory was a priory, just south of the village of Snainton, in North Yorkshire, England. The preceptory was started by the Knights Templar at Foulbridge which sits 1-mile to the east of a Benedictine Priory at Yedingham. Both houses ...

Spetisbury Priory

The alien house of Benedictine monks at Spettisbury was a cell of the Abbey of St. Peter of Preaux in Normandy, under the priory of Toft in Norfolk. Lands and rights in both these places, and in Charlton Marshall in Dorset, were given to the abbe ...

Stafford Friary

Stafford Friary was a religious house of Franciscan friars in Stafford, Staffordshire, England. Founded sometime in the 13th century, it was a surrendered to the Crown in 1538, during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

Stainfield Priory

Stainfield Priory was a Benedictine nunnery at Stainfield in the North of Lincolnshire, England, between Wragby and Fiskerton. Monastery of Saint Mary in Stainfield was the only convent of the Benedictine nuns in Lincolnshire. It was a small scho ...

Standon Preceptory

Standon Preceptory was a Knights Hospitaller foundation in the parish of Standon, in the county of Hertfordshire, England. It was founded before 1154, probably shortly after the Knights became possessors of the Standon Church in 1151, and dissolv ...

Stocking Abbey

Stocking Abbey was an abbey in the village of Oldstead, North Yorkshire, England. Abbey stocking was built in 1147, originally Savigniac monks, but soon became a Cistercian. It was meant to be a temporary institution as a suitable place for perma ...

Studley Priory, Warwickshire

Studley Priory, Warwickshire, was a priory in Studley, Warwickshire, England. The Augustinian monastery was founded in the 12th century by Peter Corbizun, then Peter de rivers, who moved to Studley the Augustinian monastery of canons regular whic ...

Sulby Abbey

The abbey of Sulby was founded about the year 1155 for canons of the Premonstratensian order by William de Wideville. It was originally founded in Welford parish, and subsequently moved some two miles to the west to Sulby. The change probably too ...

Swainby Abbey

Swainby Abbey was a Premonstratensian abbey in North Yorkshire, England. It was founded in 1187 or 1188 by Helewise, the daughter of Ranulph de Glanville, Sheriff of Yorkshire and later Justiciar for King Henry II. She was the wife of Robert, Lor ...

Swavesey Priory

Swavesey Priory was a medieval monastic house in the village of Swavesey, Cambridgeshire, England. A church existed in Swavesey at the time of the Norman Conquest, when Alan, Count of Richmond, granted it to the Benedictine Abbey of St Sergius an ...

Swine Priory

Swine Priory was a priory in the village of Swine in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The monastery was founded in the 12th century by Robert De Verli, initially with 14 nuns and a prioress and was dedicated to the virgin Mary. On the site ...

Swineshead Abbey

Swineshead Abbey was an abbey in Swineshead, Lincolnshire. Of St Marys Abbey, a Cistercian monastery was founded in 1134 by Robert De Gresle. Grisly and his son, albert, endowed the Abbey with 240 acres of land and other gifts. The monastery was ...

Swingfield Preceptory

The Preceptory headquarters of certain orders of monastic knights was taken over by the Knights Hospitaller in 1180 after sisters of the same order were moved to Buckland Priory. It was suppressed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries and lea ...

Teignmouth Abbey

The Benedictine community at Teignmouth dated back to the establishment of the first English Benedictine convent on the continent, founded in Brussels in 1598 by Lady Mary Percy. From Brussels, Dame Lucy Knatchbull, Magdalene Digby, sister of Eve ...

Temple Ewell Preceptory

Since Saxon times there had been a wooden church by the ancient road from London to Dover now the A2. The Knights Templar acquired the manor of Ewell in 1163 and replaced the wooden structure with a Norman church made of stone. After the Templars ...

Temple Guiting Preceptory

Temple Guiting Preceptory was a medieval monastic house of the Knights Templar in Gloucestershire, England. It was founded around the middle of the twelfth century, receiving grants of land from Gilbert de Lacy and Roger de Waterville. Following ...

Thornholme Priory

Thornholme Priory was a priory in Lincolnshire, England, lying on the western side of the Ancholme carrs between the villages of Broughton and Appleby.

Thwaite Priory

Thwaite Priory was a monastery at Welton le Marsh in Lincolnshire, England. It was a house of Augustinian Canons Regular, dependent on Thornton Abbey, founded before 1440 and thought to have been dissolved before 1536. Part of the remains was inc ...

Tickhill Friary

Tickhill Friary was an Augustinian friary in Tickhill, South Yorkshire, England. John Clarel, a canon of Southwell, founded it about 1260. It was dissolved in 1530. The remains are a Grade II* listed monument. The 14th century buildings were conv ...