ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 289

Hao (French Polynesia)

Hao, or Haorangi, is a large coral atoll in the central part of the Tuamotu Archipelago. It has c. 1000 people living on 35 km². It was used to house the military support base for the nuclear tests on Mururoa. Because of its shape, French explore ...

Huahine

Huahine is an island located among the Society Islands, in French Polynesia, an overseas territory of France in the Pacific Ocean. It is part of the Leeward Islands group. At the 2017 census it had a population of 6.075.

Mahina, French Polynesia

Mahina is a commune in the suburbs of Tahiti in French Polynesia, an overseas territory of France in the Pacific Ocean. Mahina is located on the island of Tahiti, in the administrative subdivision of the Windward Islands, themselves part of the S ...

Manihi

Manihi, or Paeua, is a coral atoll in the Tuamotu Archipelago, part of French Polynesia. It is one of the northernmost of the Tuamotus, located in the King George subgroup. The closest land to Manihi is Ahe Atoll, located 14 km to the west. The p ...

Tatakoto

Tatakoto is an atoll in the Tuamotu group in French Polynesia. Tatakoto is one of the more remote atolls of the Tuamotu. It is located in the Eastern part of the archipelago, 1.182 kilometers 734 miles from Tahiti. This Atoll is 14 km 9 miles lon ...

Tubuai

Tubuai or Tupuai is the main island of the Tubuai Island group, located at 23°23′00″S 149°27′00″W, 640 km south of Tahiti. In addition to Tubuai, the group of islands include Rimatara, Rurutu, Raivavae and the uninhabited Iles Maria. They are par ...

Uturoa

Uturoa is a commune located in Raiatea, the largest island of the Iles Sous le Vent in French Polynesia. It is situated in between the administrative subdivision of Leeward Islands and the main port of the island of Raiatea. According to the 2017 ...

Agat, Guam

Agat is a village in the United States territory of Guam. It is located south of Apra Harbor on the islands western shore. The villages population has decreased since the islands 2000 census. The village is 10 miles 16 km South-West of Hagåtña, w ...

Asan, Guam

Asan is a village located on the western shore of the United States territory of Guam. The municipality of Asan-Maina combines Asan with Maina, a community in the hills to the east. It was a primary landing site for United States Marines during G ...

Barrigada

Barrigada is a village in the United States territory of Guam. A largely residential municipality, its main village is located south of the Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport near the intersections of Routes 8, 10, and 16. The community eas ...

Dededo

Dededo is the most populated village in the United States territory of Guam. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Dededos population was just under 45.000 in 2010. The village is located on the coral plateau of Northern Guam.

Inarajan, Guam

Inarajan is a village located on the southeastern coast of the United States territory of Guam. The villages original Chamoru name, Inalåhan, was altered when transliterated during Spanish control of the island.

Mangilao, Guam

Mangilao is a village on the eastern shore of the United States territory of Guam. The villages population has increased slightly following the islands 2000 census. The rocks lie along most of the coastline of the village, with spectacular views, ...

Merizo, Guam

Merizo, is the southernmost village in the United States territory of Guam. Cocos Island is a part of the municipality. The villages population has decreased since the islands 2000 census.

Santa Rita, Guam

Santa Rita is a village located on the southwest coast of the United States territory of Guam with hills overlooking Apra Harbor. According to the 2000 census it has a population of 7.500, down from 11.857 in 1990. Santa Rita is the newest villag ...

Sinajana, Guam

Sinajana is the smallest of the nineteen villages in the United States territory of Guam by area. It is located in the hills south of Hagåtña. The villages name may have come from the word "china-jan," cookware used to cook wild yams that once gr ...

Tamuning, Guam

Tamuning, also known as Tamuning-Tumon-Harmon is a Municipality/Town/City or village located on the western shore of the United States territory of Guam. The village of Tamuning can be viewed as the economic center of Guam, containing Tumon, Harm ...

Umatac, Guam

Umatac, formerly called Umata, is a village on the southwestern coast of the United States territory of Guam. The month of March in the Chamorro language is "Umatalaf," or "to catch guatafi," which is believed to be the root word of Umatac. The v ...

Yigo, Guam

Yigo, Guam is the northernmost village of the United States territory of Guam, and is the location of Andersen Air Force Base. The municipality of Yigo is larger than any other village on the island in terms of area. It contains a number of popul ...

Arrondissement of Cayenne

The arrondissement of Cayenne is an arrondissement of France in French Guiana department in French Guiana region. It has 14 communes. Its population is 176.357, and its area is 42.589 km 2. It is the larger of the two arrondissements in French Gu ...

Arrondissement of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni

The arrondissement of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni is an arrondissement of France in French Guiana department in French Guiana region. It has eight communes. Its population is 92.995, and its area is 40.945 km 2.

Kourou

Kourou is a commune in French Guiana, an overseas region and department of France located in South America. In addition to being an administrative district in French Guiana, it is also the main town in that district. In the Kourou district lies t ...

Maripasoula

Maripasoula is a commune of French Guiana, an overseas region and department of France located in South America. With a land area of 18.360 km 2, Maripasoula is the largest commune of France.

Matoury

Matoury is a commune of French Guiana, an overseas region and department of France located in South America. Matoury is a southern suburb of Cayenne, the Prefecture and the largest city of French Guiana. Cayenne – Eboue airport Felix, the main in ...

Papaïchton

Papaïchton is a commune in the overseas region and department of French Guiana. The village lies on the shores of the Maroni River, which used to be the only way to access the village. In the village, which is the seat of the commune was called P ...

Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni

Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni (French pronunciation: ​ is a commune of French Guiana, an overseas region and department of France located in South America. Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni is one of the two sub-prefectures of French Guiana and the seat of the A ...

Representative of Anguilla, London

The Representative of Anguilla in London is the diplomatic mission of the British Overseas Territory of Anguilla in the United Kingdom. It was formerly located in the West Wing of Somerset House, and is now on Storeys Gate in Westminster.

Bench of Counts of Westphalia

The Bench of Counts of Westphalia was one of the four comital benches of the Reichstag in the Holy Roman Empire. Collectively, the Counts exercised one vote. Territories which belonged to the Bench before 1582 are known as "Old Counts," and those ...

Barony of Bilstein

The Barony of Bilstein was a dynastic lordship with extensive estates in the region of the present German states of Hesse and Thuringia.

County of Buren

The Buren County was a territory situated in what is now the Dutch province of Gelderland. It was an independent county until the establishment of the Batavian Republic in 1795. Although it was not formally part of the United Provinces, in practi ...

County of Huy

The County of Huy was a division of Lotharingia during the early Middle Ages, centred on the town of Huy and its citadel overlooking the Meuse. County probably occurred in the late ninth century as a division of the Countys countryside. It was a ...

Lordship of Gedern

The Lordship of Gedern was a lordship or herrschaft centred on Gedern near Budingen in Hesse, Germany. It is first recorded in a document from Lorsch Abbey dating to 780.

Hagen-Hohenlimburg

Hagen-Hohenlimburg, on the Lenne river, is a borough of the city of Hagen in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Hohenlimburg was once the main city of the County of Limburg Hohenlimburg in medieval Germany, first documentary mentioned 1230, and bel ...

Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfurst

Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfurst was a county in northeastern Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany. Its name derives from the castle of Hohenloch near Uffenheim in Mittelfranken, which came into the possession of the descendants of Conrad of Weikershei ...

County of Konigstein

On 6 August 1505 Maximilian I granted the titles of lords of Konigstein, Eppstein and Munzenberg to the brothers Eberhard, George and Philip, all from the house of Eppstein. However, all three of them remained without male issue and so their sist ...

County of Moers

The County of Moers was a historical princely territory on the left bank of the Lower Rhine that included the towns of Moers and Krefeld as well as the surrounding villages and regions.

County of Mompelgard

The County of Montbeliard, was a feudal county of the Holy Roman Empire seated in the city of Montbeliard in the present-day Franche-Comte region of France. From 1444 onwards it was held by the House of Wurttemberg.

Stolberg-Wernigerode

The County of Stolberg-Wernigerode was a county of the Holy Roman Empire located in the Harz region around Wernigerode, now part of Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It was ruled by a branch of the House of Stolberg.

County of Werdenfels

The County of Werdenfels in the present-day Werdenfelser Land in South Germany was a county that enjoyed imperial immediacy that belonged to the Bishopric of Freising from the late 13th century until the secularisation of the Bishopric in 1803. T ...

Carrickfergus (barony)

Carrickfergus is a barony in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is bounded on the south-east by Belfast Lough, and otherwise surrounded by the barony of Belfast Lower. It is coextensive with the civil parish of Carrickfergus or St Nicholas and c ...

County of Nether Tyrone

The County of Nether Tyrone, was a historic county of Ireland located in the northwest of the country. It was merged with Upper Tyrone to form County Tyrone.

County of Upper Tyrone

The County of Upper Tyrone, was a historic county of Ireland located in the northwest of the country. It was merged with Nether Tyrone to form County Tyrone.

Counties of New Zealand

A system of counties of New Zealand was instituted after the country dissolved its provinces in 1876, and these counties were similar to other countries systems, lasting with little change until 1989, when they were reorganised into district and ...

Aberdeenshire (historic)

Aberdeenshire or the County of Aberdeen is a historic county and registration county of Scotland. The area of the county, excluding the city of Aberdeen itself, is also a lieutenancy area. The county borders Kincardineshire, Angus and Perthshire ...

Argyll

Argyll, sometimes called Argyllshire, is a historic county and registration county of western Scotland. Argyle is of ancient origin, and corresponds in the greater part of the ancient Kingdom of Dal RIADA in the UK. Argyll was also a medieval bis ...

Ayrshire

Ayrshire is a historic county and registration county in south-west Scotland, located on the shores of the Firth of Clyde. Its principal towns include Ayr, Kilmarnock and Irvine and it borders the counties of Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire to the n ...

Banffshire

Banffshire is a historic county, registration county and lieutenancy area of Scotland. The county town is Banff, although the largest community is Buckie to the west. It borders the Moray Firth to the north, Morayshire and Inverness-shire to the ...

Berwickshire

Berwickshire is a historic county, registration county and lieutenancy area in the Scottish Borders. It takes its name from Berwick-upon-Tweed, which was part of Scotland at the time of the countys formation, but became part of England in 1482 af ...

County of Bute

The County of Bute, also known as Buteshire, is a historic county and registration county of Scotland. The district includes a number of Islands in the Firth of Clyde, between the counties of Argyll and Ayrshire, on the main Islands of Bute, Arra ...

Dumfriesshire

Dumfriesshire or the County of Dumfries is a historic county, registration county and lieutenancy area of Scotland. It borders Kirkcudbrightshire to the West, Ayrshire to the North-West, Lanarkshire, Peeblesshire and Selkirkshire to the North, an ...