ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 314

Patchin Place

Patchin Place is a gated cul-de-sac located off of 10th Street between Greenwich Avenue and the Avenue of the Americas in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. Its ten 3-story brick row houses, said to have been original ...

The Players Theatre

The Players Theatre located at 115 MacDougal Street between West 3rd and Bleecker Streets in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan is one of the oldest commercial Off-Broadway theatres in operation in New York City. The Players Theatre conta ...

Pleiades Club

The Pleiades Club was an association of artists and those with artistic interests in the area of Greenwich Village in New York. It was founded in 1896, was incorporated in 1902, and continued until the 1930s. The Club held weekly dinners and perf ...

Provincetown Playhouse

The Provincetown Playhouse is a historic theatre at 133 MacDougal Street between West 3rd and West 4th Streets in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It is named for the Provincetown Players, who converted the former b ...

PS 41

Public School 41, Greenwich Village School, is a public elementary K–5 neighborhood catchment school. Founded in 1867, P.S. 41 is located in Greenwich Village in Manhattan, New York City. In 1957, the old PS 41 was torn down and replaced by a new ...

St. Lukes School (Manhattan)

St. Lukes is a coeducational elementary and middle school which is divided into a Lower School and an Upper School. It is located on the block of The Church of St. Luke in the Fields in the West Village at 487 Hudson Street, Manhattan. School for ...

University Place (Manhattan)

University Place is a short north–south thoroughfare in Manhattan, New York City, which runs from Washington Square Park in the south as a continuation of Washington Square East, taking the position of Madison Avenue uptown, and terminates at Eas ...

Washington Street (Manhattan)

Washington Street is a north-south street in the New York City borough of Manhattan. It runs in several distinct pieces, from its northernmost end at 14th Street in the Meatpacking District to its southern end at Battery Place in Battery Park Cit ...

Chapel of the Resurrection (New York City)

The Chapel of the Resurrection is a Roman Catholic chapel in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 276 West 151st Street, Manhattan, New York City.

360 Tenth Avenue

360 Tenth Avenue is an unbuilt skyscraper in the Hells Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City. It would have been 772 ft tall and have 61 floors.

Davenport Theatre

The Davenport Theatre was an Off-Broadway theater venue located at 354 West 45th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues in the Hells Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It was operated by Off-Broadway producer Ken Davenport in a bu ...

Ensemble Studio Theatre

The Ensemble Studio Theatre is a non-profit membership-based developmental theatre located in Hells Kitchen, New York City. It has a dual mission of nurturing individual theatre artists and developing new American plays.

Hells Kitchen Park

In the 1960s, there were very few open spaces in Hells Kitchen. Residents complained about this, so the civic authorities thought of possibly building parkland on a parking lot on Tenth Avenue between West 47th and 48th Street. On June 23, 1966, ...

Playwrights Horizons

Playwrights Horizons is a not-for-profit Off-Broadway theater located in New York City dedicated to the support and development of contemporary American playwrights, composers, and lyricists, and to the production of their new work. Under the lea ...

Power Station (recording studio)

Power Station at BerkleeNYC, formerly known as Avatar Studios is a recording studio at 441 West 53rd Street between Ninth and Tenth avenues in the Hells Kitchen neighborhood in Manhattan, New York City.

Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (New York City)

The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a Roman Catholic parish church, located in Hells Kitchen/Clinton, Manhattan, New York City. Founded in 1876, it is a parish of the Archdiocese of New York and is located at 457 West 51st Street. Sacred H ...

Church of St. Michael (34th Street, Manhattan)

The Church of St. Michael is a parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 424 West 34th Street, in Manhattan, New York City.

St. Lukes Theatre

St. Luke’s Theatre is a 174-seat Off-Broadway theatre at St. Lukes Lutheran Church at 308 West 46th Street, the Restaurant Row, just west of Eighth Avenue in Manhattans Theater District. It is operated by Edmund Gaynes was born in 1947 and West E ...

West Midtown Ferry Terminal

The West Midtown Ferry Terminal is a passenger bus and ferry terminal serving ferries along the Hudson River in New York City and northeastern New Jersey. It is located at Piers 78 and 79 in Hudson River Park adjacent to the West Side Highway at ...

Spring Street Park

Spring Street Park is a small triangular park in the lower Manhattan neighborhood of Hudson Square in New York City. The park is bounded by Spring Street on the north, Broome Street on the south, Avenue of the Americas on the east, and on the wes ...

Vandam Street

Vandam Street is a street in the Hudson Square neighborhood of Lower Manhattan in New York City. It runs east to west from Sixth Avenue to Greenwich Street.

Varick Street

Varick Street runs north-south primarily in the Hudson Square district of Lower Manhattan in New York City. Varick Streets northern terminus is in the West Village, where it is a continuation of Seventh Avenue south of Clarkson Street. It continu ...

WBLS

WBLS is an urban adult contemporary formatted FM radio station, licensed to New York City. It is currently owned by Mediaco Holding and operated by Emmis Communications under a shared services agreement, along with sister stations WLIB and WQHT. ...

Fort Cockhill

Fort Cockhill was an 18th-century military fortification located on Coxs Hill or Tubby Hook Hill, now known as the present-day Inwood Hill Park in Manhattan, New York City. A small, circular earthwork structure, in height some ten or twelve feet ...

Armenian Evangelical Church of New York

The Armenian Evangelical Church of New York, the oldest Armenian institution in the New York metropolitan area, was founded in 1896. It is located at 152 East 34th Street, in Manhattan, New York City. Reverend H. H. Khazoyan was the first pastor ...

East 34th Street Ferry Landing

The East 34th Street Ferry Landing provides slips to ferries and excursion boats on the East River in the Port of New York and New Jersey. It is located east of the FDR Drive just north of East 34th Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. The ...

Norman Thomas High School

The Norman Thomas High School for Business and Commercial Education was a public high school the Murray Hill neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City under the New York City Department of Education. Formerly known as Central Commercial High Schoo ...

Lincoln Square, Manhattan

Lincoln Square is the name of both a square and the surrounding neighborhood within the Upper West Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan. Lincoln Square is centered on the intersection of Broadway and Columbus Avenue, between West 65th a ...

Dante Park

Dante Park is a public park in Manhattan, New York City, located in the Upper West Side neighborhood in front of Lincoln Center near Central Park. Dante Park was established in 1921, Italian-Americans in honor of the Italian poet Dante Alighieri ...

Merkin Concert Hall

Merkin Concert Hall is a 449-seat concert hall in Manhattan, New York City. The hall, named in honor of Hermann and Ursula Merkin, is part of the Kaufman Music Center, a complex that includes the Lucy Moses School, a community arts school, and th ...

Special Music School

Special Music School is a K-12 public school that teaches music as a core subject on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City. The school is run as a public/private partnership between the New York City Department of Education and Kaufman ...

White Rose Mission

The White Rose Mission was created on February 11, 1897 as a "Christian, nonsectarian Home for Colored Girls and Women" by African American civic leaders, Victoria Earle Matthews and Maritcha Remond Lyons. The settlement house, located on Manhatt ...

247 Cherry

247 Cherry is a 79-story residential building under development in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City. The building was designed by SHoP Architects, and is being developed by JDS Development Group. Renderings for the building were fi ...

Cedar Street Presbyterian Church

Cedar Street Presbyterian Church also known as the Scotch Presbyterian Church on Cedar Street was a former Presbyterian church of the eighteenth century and nineteenth century located in the Lower East Side, Manhattan, New York City. The Church s ...

Delancey Street

Delancey Street is one of the main thoroughfares of New York Citys Lower East Side in Manhattan, running from the streets western terminus at the Bowery to its eastern end at FDR Drive, connecting to the Williamsburg Bridge and Brooklyn at Clinto ...

Essex Street

Essex Street is a north-south street on the Lower East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan. North of Houston Street, the street becomes Avenue A, which goes north to 14th Street. South of Canal Street it becomes Rutgers Street, the sou ...

Guss Pickles

Guss Pickles was founded by a Polish immigrant, Isidor Guss. Guss arrived in New York in 1910, and like hundreds of thousands of other Jewish immigrants, settled in the Lower East Side. Clustered in the "pickle district" of Essex and Ludlow stree ...

Henry Street (Manhattan)

Henry Street is a street in the Lower East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan that runs one-way eastbound, except for two small two-way segments west of Pike Street and east of Montgomery Street. It spans from Oliver Street in the wes ...

Knickerbocker Village

Knickerbocker Village Limited is a lower middle class housing development situated between the Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge, in the Two Bridges section of the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City. Although the location was generall ...

Lower East Side Conservancy

The Lower East Side Conservancy, also known as The Lower East Side Jewish Conservancy, is an educational and advocacy organization, created in 1998 to preserve the synagogues and cultural heritage of the Lower East Side, America’s most famous imm ...

Lower East Side History Project

The Lower East Side History Project is an award-winning non-profit organization dedicated to researching, documenting and preserving the history of the greater Lower East Side of New York City.

NEST+m

New Explorations into Science, Technology and Math, abbreviated NEST+M, is a public school located on the Lower East Side of the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, and is under the supervision of the New York City Department of Educati ...

Orchard Street

Orchard Street is a street in Manhattan which covers the eight city blocks between Division Street in Chinatown and East Houston Street on the Lower East Side. Vehicular traffic runs north on this one-way street. Orchard Street starts from Divisi ...

Pier 42 (East River)

Pier 42 is a pier in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City. It was the last working cargo pier on the Manhattan shore of the East River, operating from 1963 to 1987. Since the early 2010s, plans have been underway to turn Pier 42 into a ...

Podhajcer Shul

The Podhajcer Shul was a synagogue on 108 East First Street at Houston Street in the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. Although the building has been repurposed to residential use, its facade retains a prominent Star of Da ...

Rivington House

Rivington House is a building located in Manhattan, New York City. Until recently, the building had operated as a specialty nursing home for patients with HIV/AIDS. The building featured in the media for the way city officials handled the sale of ...

Rivington Street

Rivington Street is a street in the New York City borough of Manhattan, which runs across the Lower East Side neighborhood, between the Bowery and Pitt Street, with a break between Chrystie and Forsyth for Sara D. Roosevelt Park. Vehicular traffi ...

Stanton Street

Stanton Street is a west-to-east street in the New York City borough of Manhattan, in the neighborhood of the Lower East Side. It begins at the Bowery at the corner of the infamous Sunshine Motel. This three-lane street, with a bike lane, a parki ...

Steal This Radio

Steal This Radio was a pirate radio station based in New York City with roots in the local squatter community. The 12-watt station broadcast at 88.7 FM starting in November 1995.

Morningside Drive (Manhattan)

Morningside Drive is a roughly north–south bi-directional street in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of the New York City borough of Manhattan. It runs from 110th Street in the south, where it forms the continuation of Columbus Avenue, to 122 ...