ⓘ Camp Topridge

                                     

ⓘ Camp Topridge

Camp Topridge is an Adirondack Great Camp bought in 1920 and substantially expanded and renovated in 1923 by Marjorie Merriweather Post, founder of General Foods and the daughter of C. W. Post. The "camp", near Keese Mill, in the U.S. state of New York, was considered by Post to be a "rustic retreat", it consisted of 68 buildings, including a fully staffed main lodge and private guest cabins, each staffed with its own butler. It was one of the largest of the Adirondack great camps and possibly the most elaborately furnished.

In the camp 207 with an area of 84 hectares and was located on the esker between the spectacle ponds and upper lake St. Regis, about 12 miles 19 km North-West of lake Saranac, new York.

As originally constructed, the property can only be reached by water, although a porch was added in later years. Guests arrived by float-plane or boat posts on the private pier and from there take a funicular to the main building on top of the ridge. Three times a week, guests gathered in the 65-to-50-foot 20 15 m living room where the movie can be screened adjacent dining room sits thirty people. Many of the original furnishings of the room, which included an extensive collection of native American artifacts, now in the Smithsonian. Among the many complex structures on the property is a Russian dacha was built on the posts third husband, who served as Ambassador to the Soviet Union.

Very different from mills road In Paul Smiths and drive around the water and leave their cars in the Parking lot, now used as public Parking for the trail to St. Regis mountain trail just before the private property line of camp Topridge. From the Parking lot, staff will walk the hilly, dirt road in the direction of the camp workers. In the early 1970-ies, this unpaved path was widened and became suitable for one-way car traffic. Prior to paving, the vehicle could only be on the ice in winter. Mrs. posts that you can arrive at the airport Saranac lake in a clear, often in her private Vickers Viscount, the Merriweather. Theyd driven to the launch that will take them to one of the workshops. From there, they could either take the stairs or ride a covered, six-person electronic lift or funicular, installed in Mrs posts aunt post who had been suffering from heart disease. When Mrs. post was in camp, he employs the carpenters, painters, maids and General labor. For many years, caretaker of the camp and his wife will feed in the afternoon of the dining room staff in the caretakers house and it was one of the advantages of working for Mrs. post at the time.

The estate was designed by local Builder Ben Muncil in collaboration with new York architect Theodore Blake.

Post left the property in the state of new York. The main building, most of the buildings and 105 hectares 42 hectares was put up for sale, the rest of the area should be made part of the forest preserve the Adirondacks. Roger Jakubowski purchased the camp from the state of new York in 1985 for $911.000. It is now owned by Texas real estate magnate Harlan Crow, who essentially restored the buildings and added several new.

The building was listed on the national register of historic places in 1986.