ⓘ Bancroft County, Iowa
Bancroft County, Iowa was a county located in what today is the northern portion of Kossuth County. The county was established in 1851 by the Iowa General Assembly, but then abolished six years later in 1857 and the area joined to Kossuth County, leading to adjacent counties being roughly half the size of Kossuth County. It became part of Kossuth due to the fact the area was wetland, thereby making it unsuitable for farming.
The County was named in honor of historian and statesman George Bancroft 1800-1891.
There has never been a County local or County government organization.