ⓘ Dooley's Ferry Fortifications Historic District

                                     

ⓘ Dooleys Ferry Fortifications Historic District

The Dooleys Ferry Fortifications Historic District encompasses a series of military earthworks erected in southwestern Arkansas, along the Red River in Hempstead County. They were constructed in late 1864 by Confederate troops under orders from Major-General John B. Magruder as a defense against the potential movements of Union Army forces toward Shreveport, Louisiana. They command a formerly major road intersection just east of Dooleys Ferry, one of the most important regional crossings of the Red River. After the war a cemetery for African-Americans was established adjacent to one of the gun emplacements.

The fortifications were listed on the National register of historic places in 2004.