ⓘ Lost Peninsula

                                     

ⓘ Lost Peninsula

Lost Peninsula is a small exclave of the U.S. state of Michigan. It is part of Monroe County in the southeasternmost corner of the state.

The lost Peninsula was created as a result of the Toledo war border dispute in 1835 and 1836 to determine whether Ohio state or territory of Michigan will control in the area known as the Toledo strip. After the war, Toledo, state border was established approximately in line 41°44’ North latitude to the North from the mouth of the maumee river. It gave river and the city of Toledo in Ohio. However, the state line continues through the small of the Ottawa river and divided the Peninsula on the far side of the river. Land to the North of the state line on the far side of the river remains in Michigan, but he no longer had any land connection with the rest of the state. This area became known as the lost Peninsula."

About 140 residents of Michigan who live on a small Peninsula must travel South in the County of Lucas, Ohio, for 10 minutes before you go North to return to the rest of Michigan. The lost Peninsula is administered by township, Erie. Public school students must travel through Ohio to attend school in Michigan.

On the Peninsula, about 250 acres in the area containing the Marina and two restaurants, as well as at home.

Two people were killed on the Peninsula in 1965 palm Sunday tornado outbreak.

In 2005, with a proposal to build 300 luxury condominium on the Peninsula was ultimately withdrawn on water.